Saturday, July 17, 2010

The Tee is the Key - Adventures in Plumbing

There was a leak in the water line going into my house. I dug up around it and found the leak. No wonder it was leaking, "What a clusterfuck!" of different types and sizes of pipes. I decide to replace it all with pvc from 1" down to a half inch. I've done a lot of pvc plumbing for myself but I ran into a problem. The 1" pipe coming in was at an odd angle, not in line with the house 90 degrees, not a 45 degree angle. I was really straining my alcohol soaked brain. How do you plumb it when it's at such a strange angle? Lucky for me a guy with an even more alcohol soaked brain looked at it.
(Obviously some brains are more resistant to alcohol soakings than others.)
"You need a tee." I'm like "Huh?" He showed me what he was talking about. The bottom of the tee is what you plumb into.(So you have a sideways tee.) You cap off one of the other two parts of it, the bottom in this case. (Now pointing up and down.) Now you can make any angle in the world, because you can turn it. It worked great! I'm sure some of you already knew this trick but it was a life saver for me.
I had a few left over parts.

2 comments:

yellowdoggranny said...

I don't want to make you feel bad..but I could have told you that..I am a plumbing queen..

texlahoma said...

Ted - Not a drop!

YDG - You inspired me...

There's a plumbing queen in Texas
she knows all the tricks
If you have plumbing problems
there ain't nothin' that
she can't fix
From a 6' water main
down to the smallest drip
that plumbing queen from Texas
with a pipe wrench on her hip

Blog Archive