Monday, April 21, 2008

The Terrible Choice

What a terrible choice to have to make. The candidates that want to end our country's occupation of Iraq are also the candidates that don't care much for the peoples right to keep and bear arms. That's the bad thing about a two party system. I wish that there was a viable candidate that wanted to end the occupation of other countries and also was for the right of the people to keep and bear arms. I'm very conflicted, I know that I hold the right of gun ownership higher than a lot of my friends both online and off.
I'm a little too street smart to think that gun control will keep guns out of the hands of criminals. If you think that it will, well frankly, you don't know shit. You are ignorant, just look at drug laws. There are all kinds of very strict laws against drugs. Is it possible to get drugs if you want them? Yes and the more of a criminal you are, the easier they are to get. So why would guns be any different. Here is just an example: I was talking to an inmate and mentioned that I was going to buy a gun pretty soon. He said "Oh I should hook you up with my brother, he's a pretty big drug dealer and he's got all kinds of guns, people trade them in for drugs all the time." I opted to buy a gun legally instead since gun laws aren't real tight right now but I had that option. I guess the Democrats want people to feel like they are going to protect you from guns but I hope you know that is only an illusion. So, I've vented a little but am still facing a terrible decision.

5 comments:

Big Tex said...

I hear what you're saying - I'm a pro-2nd Amendment liberal, and I get really frustrated sometimes with my fellow liberals, who don't want to apply the same philosophical standards that we do in other areas like abortion rights to the gun ownership issue. I do think that some of us are coming around, and we are seeing more pro-gun Dems being elected, like Jon Tester and Jim Webb in the Senate for example. The liberal blogosphere also has some prominent people who are gun-friendly, like Kos, and they're getting an increasingly powerful voice in the party. My guess is that as time passes over the next few years, the Dems won't be nearly as hostile to the 2nd Amendment as they have in the past. If nothing else, they know it's a big loser for them.

As far as the presidential candidates, I don't get the impression that Obama is going to make gun "control" a huge priority. I may be wrong, and I hope I'm not. Hillary is more of a statist on issues like these, so I'd be more concerned with her in the White House. See her stances on flag-burning, FCC censorship, and health insurance mandates, to cite a few examples.

texlahoma said...

I've said for a long time it would be smart for the Dems to be for gun rights. It would leave the Repubicans with just the wealthy and some religious votes. It would be a great move.

yellowdoggranny said...

i think the laws should be stricter about getting one..thinking about all those kids buying guns to shoot up schools..a little psych test might have brought out the fact the kids were wakko...i wonder what whould have happened between jack and i if he didn't have a gun or guns..????

texlahoma said...

YDG, we can't agree all the time. But if strict laws prohibiting drugs don't work (I think we're in agreement there) then how will they work on guns?

joy said...

That's a tough one. I've never owned a gun, but I don't care if you own one (or several). I'd just like to see some sensible laws that encourage responsible gun ownership and keep guns away from kids. I'm not sure that's even possible. I do think the Democrats have lost their way on this issue.

Blog Archive