Monday, January 26, 2009

The Numbers

Sure the coming ice storm had him on edge but that wasn't what was bothering him, it was the numbers. The numbers on the digital clock when he happen to look at them, 3:33 that was the number of his old friend that had killed himself a few years earlier. There were other numbers too that he had kind of assigned to things and they were all coming up. No, he hadn't gone crazy but he would readily admit that it would be a short trip. Beer, he needed beer for tonight. The thought of sitting around in the dark with no electricity without beer was unacceptable. The friendly cashier rang up the thirty pack of Keystone light and a sausage biscuit. He wasn't thinking about the numbers any more...until the total was the year of his birth. "That's $19.62 sir." He tried not to look freaked out as he handed her a twenty. "Have a nice day!" she said.
It should be easy enough to "have a nice day" since it was his day off but the numbers, those stinking numbers.

5 comments:

McRaven said...

I kinda freak out when stuff like that happens. Numbers are strange and wonderful.

yellowdoggranny said...

im waiting for part two..great story..

texlahoma said...

MR - I'm kind of strange with numbers, that Carry on my wayward son song, Dust in the wind by Kansas.
It's a long story but 1:11 or 11:11 always reminds me of that song. It's not that long of a story. For several times in a row it was 1:11 or 11:11 when that song started playing.
Sometime I can understand math pretty well, if I need to. I figured out a number just the other day to multiply by if you want to know the diagonal distance of a square. It might be very basic but it was nice to figure it out for myself.
YDG - That's no story, that's my life!

yellowdoggranny said...

reallllly?..holy shit.!that's freaky..I always wake up during the am or night and the clock will always be on 3:33 or 5:55 3:45...
2;34...weird..

texlahoma said...

Yep, I know I was writing it like a story. Nothing bad happened, so maybe the ghosts were just saying "Hi!".
For quite a while I use to wake up a few seconds before the alarm clock went off in the mornings, like someone shook me or something.

Blog Archive