Sunday, January 11, 2009

Faith

I use to have a job that required a very early morning commute. My buddy would usually drive and I had time to let my mind wander. Driving through the mountains in the predawn darkness I sometimes thought about people back before religion. Looking at the stars I thought about how they must have believed in a creator. It gave me a feeling of pure faith, not diluted with words and technicalities. I've had trouble trying to relate that feeling to others. A feeling of believing in something bigger before the bible or preachers came along. That's my faith, maybe that's why I feel no need to go to church or any of that. But somewhat ironically, a passage from the bible explains that feeling better than I ever could.

The heavens tell of the glory of God.
The skies display his marvelous craftsmanship.
Day after day they continue to speak;
night after night they make him known.
They speak without a sound or a word;
their voice is silent in the skies;
yet their message has gone out to all the earth,
and their words to all the world.
—Psalm 19:1-4, NLT

Blog Archive