Thursday, September 09, 2010

Same as it ever was

Route 66 News



One time, while dining at a dairy bar on Route 66 in Commerce, Okla., I chatted with this older gentleman who was traveling through the region. We started talking about vintage businesses along the Mother Road.

“Just down the street, there’s a place that when I walked in, it was like being in my hometown’s grocery store back in 1947,” he said.

He was referring to the Star Cash Grocery at 209 Commerce St. (map here), on an old alignment of Route 66 that goes through downtown.

Star Cash Grocery has been there since 1937. The “Cash” in its name came from the original owner refusing to accept credit for purchases. As a result, it was the only grocery in Commerce that survived the Depression.

Not only does Star Cash look like something from the 1940s or ’50s from the outside, but the inside, too. It still uses wooden shelves for its goods and some produce:
The Star Cash Grocery is surely one of the oldest grocers on Route 66. It’s a well-stocked store and sells a bit of hardware in addition to food items. In the winter, it sells locally made peanut clusters and other candy near the checkout.

And on the day I was there, I bought a cold, 24-ounce bottle of Mountain Dew for 99 cents. So there are bargains to be found. :)



Star Cash Grocery is open from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. every day but Sunday, when it is closed. Its phone number is 918-675-4401.

3 comments:

TheWayfarer said...

I love old haunts like that.
And as long as they stick to the cash-only policy, they'll probably stay in business!

Mr. Shife said...

We sure do need more places like that. It would definitely be more interesting than trying to survive a trip to Wal-Mart. Cool place. Thanks for sharing.

texlahoma said...

Ted - I bet they save themselves a lot of headaches having a cash only policy, more places should do that.

Mr Shife - This may sound odd, but I like the way places like that smell, it really takes me back, I could close my eyes and easily believe that it's the 1960's.

Blog Archive