Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Kangaroos poisoned by fluoride


By Candice Wyatt

Updated Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:09pm AEDT
Kangaroos

Fluoride from a nearby alumininum smelter is making Portland kangaroos ill. (ABC Local : Margaret Burin )

The Environment Protection Authority (EPA) says fluoride from Alcoa's aluminium smelter at Portland is making kangaroos sick.

The EPA's Bruce Dawson says the fluoride is being absorbed by the nearby vegetation which is then being eaten by the kangaroos.

He says the fluoride poisons the kangaroos and makes lesions grow on their bones, which renders them lame.

"Once kangaroos have restricted movement [it] has a significant impact on their welfare. So this is something that needs to be managed and avoided."

He says there is not a lot of information around about the impact of fluoride on kangaroos.

The problem is more common in cattle.

3 comments:

Mr. Shife said...

Well that is uplifting. And the naive not-world-traveler that I am assumed this was Portland, Oregon and the 'roos at the zoo. I was off by a continent a few thousand miles. I need another cup of coffee.

billy pilgrim said...

shades of dr strangelove. we must protect our essence.

texlahoma said...

Mr. Shife - I assumed it was Portland, Oregon, I must need another cup a coffee too.

Billy - I don't remember most of that movie, just a guy riding a bomb.

YDG - I did a post about how bad fluoride in your water is one time, this reminded me of it. I think it is really added to the water to help keep people docile, at least that's what the Nazis used it for.

Ted - A byproduct of processing aluminum, I guess if they didn't put it in toothpaste and our water, it would be a toxic waste, no money to be made that way.

Blog Archive