Saturday, May 23, 2009

Time's a Pretzel


What if time isn't the straight line that we think of it as?

It was Friday, we do most of our laundry on Saturday and Sunday so the hamper was full and there were some clothes on the floor by it. I was going to toss a dirty shirt into the laundry room. I pulled back my arm then hesitated, which was odd.
Why did I hesitate? It didn't matter if the shirt landed on the hamper or in the floor but I had an unusual hesitation anyway. So I threw the shirt. It landed exactly halfway in between with part of it on the hamper and part of it on the pile of clothes in the floor.
Then I had a deep thought. What if the outcome influences our decision? 99 times out of 100 (at least) I would not have hesitated when tossing the shirt and also 99 times out of 100 it would have either landed on top of the hamper or on the floor, not in between.
Maybe time is shaped more like a pretzel than a pretzel stick.

8 comments:

yellowdoggranny said...

maybe your getting old and your arm is getting weak






just a thought

texlahoma said...

YDG - I think it's a good thing that you weren't around Einstein when he was working on his theory of relativity!
He would have said "You're right Jackie Sue, it's just a bunch of nonsense, I'll take that job as a brick layer."

texlahoma said...

I'm going to say it before someone else does.
"Tex, you're no Einstein."

yellowdoggranny said...

plucked the words right out of my mouth..ha..
plus i think ole einstein would have been very happy as a brick layer..he might have come up with a cheaper, cleaner brick.

joy said...

I think this is quantum probablity theory, which Einstein thought was pretty weird stuff.

Rocky (Racquel) said...

Ladies and Gentlemen, Mr. Jack Handy.

texlahoma said...

YDG, good point.
Joy, wow I didn't even know what to call it.
Rocky, that's pretty much what my wife said about it.

billy pilgrim said...

i pity those people who are held captive by linear time.

Blog Archive