Friday, July 18, 2008

The Bar



The sound of laughter greeted us as we entered the bar that was down the stairs and to the right or up the stairs and to the left for that matter. The woman that told us to "Sit anywhere you'd like." was attractive but gave off a kind of macho vibe. We opted to sit on the balcony, the weather was great by Oklahoma standards, the wind was less than 25 mph, the humidity was under 80% and the temperature was below 95, almost perfect. The people at the next table were having a good time, most had been drinking for a while. They were very friendly and asked if we were from some web site that I can't remember the name of. They were having a get together for members of that site. It slowly began to sink into my freakishly large head that this was a primarily, gay bar. I didn't care though, the food was good and the conversation coming from the party was so much better than what I'm use to hearing in public. I mean intellectual stuff like string theory and matter antimatter. I'm use to hearing about baseball, cows and tractors. I mean if it were cows that played baseball while driving tractors, then I might be interested.

I noticed a silver cross in the window across from the bar. "That makes me think of vampires."
Shelly said "I thought about vampires a while ago when we were in the antique shop." "Did you see that guy?" "If he's not a vampire, he would sure make a good one in a movie!"
I tried to think of something smart to say. "It was daytime though, why didn't the sunlight hurt him?"
Shelly replied "There was no sunlight in that room at the back, just lamp light, smart guy."
I tried to think of something else smart to say. "Let's try to get back to the motel before dark." "I...don't know these streets very well, they're kind of tricky."

2 comments:

Travis Erwin said...

Did that good food by chance have any garlic dishes on the menu?

texlahoma said...

Travis, I would have been looking for some on the menu but we ordered before that conversation.

Blog Archive