Sunday, May 18, 2008

DOMA

In 1996 the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA) defined marriage "for the purposes of federal law" as a union between one man and one woman.

Many people think that that definition of marriage is the way it should be.

I think the people that liked the first definition would like this one even better.

In 1996 the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA) defined marriage "for the purposes of federal law" as a union between one white man and one woman.

I know that people against gay rights aren't all racists but really what's the difference?

Hating people that you don't even know because they are in a minority vs hating people that you don't even know because they are in a minority.

6 comments:

joy said...

Good point. There's always been too much hatred in the world. I'm surprised the human race is still here.

yellowdoggranny said...

hating someone is like taking poison and hoping that person will die...i learned that the hard way..or as buddy hackett said "while I was staying home stewing in my hate juices, the guy I hated was out dancing."...

billy pilgrim said...

hatred is too sweet of an emotion to be watered down oh huge groups of people.

i'm concentrating my hatred on a poodle down the street right now.

texlahoma said...

Me too Joy.
Good quote YDG, I'll remember that one.
Billy,I use to hate haters but I wound up hating myself!

Big Tex said...

DOMA is one of the reasons I oppose Hillary Clinton, because it was her husband who signed that damn bill into law.

I agree with you, there's no difference whatsoever in my mind between racism and homophobia. Before she died, Coretta Scott King remarked that her late husband MLK would be speaking out in favor of gay rights if he were alive today.

texlahoma said...

I guess it's easier for the right wingers to hate gays in their old stereotypical roles.
Not as easy to hate a monogamous married couple trying to raise a family, so if letting them get married gets in the way of hate, they don't want to allow it.

Blog Archive