Saturday, March 17, 2007

You can't speak Oklahoman!

Ouch! It hurts my ears to hear people say Shawnee wrong. I heard them say it on E.R. and now there's a commercial that has a guy say Shawnee about five times, he says it wrong every time. They say it like "Donnie" but the emphasis is on the second syllable. It's Shaw-Nee. Part of the problem is that they hire people from another part of the country that can't speak Oklahoman, thinking we won't notice or care. Wrong! We notice, we care. But it might work fairly well for a Tylenol commercial 'cause it gives me a headache.

7 comments:

yellowdoggranny said...

I always know how to pronounce it...my cousin's name was Darenda Shawnee Nash..everone called her Shawn but me..I called her Shawnee..the Shawnee indians should find them and scalp them..

apositivepessimist said...

them Tylenol people are sneaky...that’s what they’re counting on, forgetting it can work both ways “I ain’t buying their shit, they can’t even say me ‘name’ right”.

funny I've always heard it on the movies like Shorn-Knee.

Unknown said...

Yep, I bet they was Yankees! You ought to here them speak Alabamian......

Nancy said...

I've missed you my pretty...I have a book how to speak minnesotian...I guess that won't help will it?

Tina said...

interesting - ive always known how to pronounce it - its been said i have a bit o cherokee in me actually

texlahoma said...

Tina I'm about a 16th Cherokee, we might be kin...don't worry, if we are I'll keep it on the DL.

texlahoma said...

JB, if they can't even speak Oklahoman I'd hate to hear them try to speak Alabamian.
Apos that Tylenol commercial makes me made where the woman says if you're not going to take it right, then don't take it at all. I always get the cheap rip-off brand any way.
YDG that reminds me, I need a haircut!

Blog Archive