Saturday, June 08, 2013

The Ring


Plymouth Satellite

The sun was low in the western sky on that Oklahoma Saturday night. Grant and I were in his dad's pickup, it had a 454 engine and of course, it was very fast.
We were kind of racing with a guy in a Plymouth Satellite.
We were ahead of him on Airline Road, a curvy, hilly road.
Everything was fine...until we saw some guys parked on the side of the road.
They were the full fledged "Heads" from school, guys that cared nothing about their reputations.
We were on good terms with them, but we didn't hang out with them.
But, hey, it was Saturday night!
Grant must have forgotten all about Eddie in the Satellite, because he slammed on his brakes.
Yep, you guessed it, the Satellite slammed into the pickup.
My head banged against the back window, hard.
We ended up going through a fence and winding up in a field. Eddie's car was spun around the facing the opposite direction, with a messed up front end.
Everyone was alright, the Heads made sure we were ok then hauled ass.
The weird thing was, I looked at my hand and my class ring was on my right
hand ring finger, just like it should be.
Why was that weird?
Because I lost my class ring earlier in the summer, hauling hay.
As a matter of fact I lost it down the defroster of that very pickup!
I guess that bang on the back of my head was a little harder than I first thought.
Suddenly I remembered, when we were hit from behind, I saw my ring come flying out of the defroster.
The memory was like slow motion, I could actually see the ring spinning.
I guess I grabbed it when we got out of the pickup.

Well, that's the story of how I was reunited with my class ring.

No comments:

Blog Archive