Monday, February 21, 2011

Steak, karaoke and Chinese beer

Published: 21 February, 2011, 15:43

The Chinese have ANTARKTIK beer!!! No seriously, this is something that I find quite fascinating and a bit disturbing at the same time. They have a “smooth and mild” beer called “Antarktik” that claims to be brewed with real water from Antarctica.




How do I know this? Well, while I was visiting the Chinese “Great Wall Station” just down the way they gave me some. They explained that each year they ship a certain amount of ice back to China and then use that water to brew a certain, limited quantity of this beer. It comes in a special can and everything. Now the station leader at Great Wall admits that he doesn’t see exactly how they brew as much beer as they do with the amount of ice that they ship back — in fact he goes as far as to say that the math just doesn’t add up — but the concept is simply intriguing. Their theory is that the brewery actually does use this Antarctic ice water to put into the beer, but only a drop or so in each can. This way they can claim it is made with real water from Antarctica, without being completely honest as to the quantity. What surprises me even more about this whole concept is the fact that I was able to try some… IN ANTARCTICA!

In essence, they have shipped the ice out, made the beer, and shipped the beer back. Maybe it is a sort of Chinese recycling program? If this beer is so special, why do they send any amount of this limited edition brew back down south, why not keep in on the market to create a demand for this rare item? Or maybe their ploy, all along, was to send some back so that visitors to the station could try it and then write about it, thus giving a boost to the entire Chinese Antarctic Expedition program. If this is in fact their plan they have succeeded, I have fallen victim and kudos to China for their master planning. I will say that I do have a couple of cans, and while I am not sure if I would be violating any international import/export or duty-free laws, I may be willing to part with them… for the right price!

Article continues rt.com

2 comments:

yellowdoggranny said...

sneaky little bastids

texlahoma said...

YDG - "Hey, this beer taste like it only has one drop of water from Antarctica!"

Blog Archive