Wednesday, October 13, 2010

4.5 Magnitude Earthquake hits Near Norman Oklahoma

It was felt from Tulsa to Clinton and South to Pauls Valley. My wife called, all excited, it was the first real earthquake that she has ever been in. I don't know if there was any damage yet.

I was down around Pauls Valley this morning and personally, I didn't feel it but I'm going to Norman this afternoon, maybe I'll get some aftershock action.


* Earthquakes
* Hazards
* Learn
* Prepare
* Monitoring
* Research

Last Earthquake in ...
Preliminary Earthquake Report
Magnitude 4.5 OKLAHOMA
Wednesday, October 13, 2010 at 14:06:29 UTC
Magnitude 4.5
Date-Time Wednesday, October 13, 2010 at 14:06:29 (UTC) - Coordinated Universal Time
Wednesday, October 13, 2010 at 09:06:29 AM local time at epicenter
Time of Earthquake in other Time Zones
Location 35.21N 97.31W
Depth 5.0 kilometers
Region OKLAHOMA
Distances 10 km (10 miles) E of Norman, Oklahoma
35 km (20 miles) SSE of OKLAHOMA CITY, Oklahoma
35 km (25 miles) WSW of Shawnee, Oklahoma
60 km (35 miles) ENE of Chickasha, Oklahoma
Location Uncertainty Error estimate: horizontal +/- 7.1 km; depth fixed by location program
Parameters Nst=38, Nph=38, Dmin=42.2 km, Rmss=1.19 sec, Erho=7.1 km, Erzz=0 km, Gp=67.1 degrees
Source USGS NEIC (WDCS-D)
Event ID us2010ciay



Oklahoma earthquake felt by some in Dallas-Fort Worth
By BRUCE TOMASO / The Dallas Morning News
btomaso@dallasnews.com

People in Dallas-Fort Worth this morning reported feeling aftershocks from an earthquake in Oklahoma.
Also Online

Link: Coverage from The Oklahoman

According to The Oklahoman , the daily newspaper in Oklahoma City, the 4.5 magnitude quake was centered 6 miles east of Norman, Okla.

It was first reported shortly after 9 a.m. There were no reports of injuries.

"It came in loud and strong on all of our seismic stations,” Randy Keller, director of the Oklahoma Geological Survey, was quoted as saying.

Locally, people reported feeling trembles in Irving, Lewisville, Dallas, Fort Worth, and other cities.

Nikki Belshe, a 24-year-old musician and music therapist who lives in Fort Worth, said she felt vibrations as she lay in bed this morning.

"My alarm clock was set for 9:17, and it was just a few minutes before that," she said.

"I'm a really light sleeper. It woke me up. At first, I thought it was my dogs jumping up on the bed. But then they came in and started getting all excited. I think they could feel it, too."

6 comments:

yellowdoggranny said...

holy shit..the sky is falling...oh no..the earth is falling..and by the way..who sets their alarm clock for 9:17?...ha

texlahoma said...

I'll try this again, I keep getting error 503 things. I would set it for 9:15. I went to Norman yesterday, everybody was kind of happy about the quake, it is pretty exciting.

yellowdoggranny said...

I keep getting that 503 thing all the time..heff said to copy and paste your comment and then hit enter and if it doesn't print.you can just redo it..smart for a republican..ha

Ralf the Dog said...

"..and by the way..who sets their alarm clock for 9:17?"

People who work a late shift? I generally start work around 10:00AM and am quite lucky to be finished by 12:00AM.

Not everyone works 8 to 5

Anonymous said...

Sorry for my bad english. Thank you so much for your good post. Your post helped me in my college assignment, If you can provide me more details please email me.

Anonymous said...

goygoygoioi
lkljlkролдрод момпромпорм пл
ромрммп

Blog Archive