Friday, February 09, 2007

Negative Turbidity Discovered

I have discovered something that science didn't even know existed, negative turbidity.
[Turbidity is a cloudiness or haziness of water (or other fluid) caused by individual particles (suspended solids) that are generally invisible to the naked eye, thus being much like smoke in air.]

At work we have two turbidity meters, one tells the turbidity of the #1 filter, the other tells the combined turbidity of the #1 & #2 filter (not the way I would have done it, but not my choice).

If the #1 filter is reading .08 and the combined reading is .04, that means that the water in #2 has 0.00 turbidity. Right?

What if #1 is .08 again but the combined is .02? (It was like that the other day.)
The way I see it, it means that the water in filter #2 has a negative turbidity!

.08 + -.04 = .04 .04 divided by two= .02

I think that we should sell our negative turbidity water to places that have too high a turbidity. They could mix it with their water and bring the turbidity way down.
I wonder if we can produce water with a higher negative turbidity?
If we got good enough at it, you could pour a gallon of it into Lake Michigan and it would be crystal clear! Think of all the possibilities!

5 comments:

the rube said...

maybe that's how ice-9 was made in vonneguts cats cradle.

the lovely mrs myshkin frequently suffers from negative turbidity.

Tina said...

wow


;)

texlahoma said...

On the other hand our calibration could be slightly off.

Cassandra said...

Dammit! I was going to say almost what JS said.
That made my brain hurt.

apositivepessimist said...

heh I see I am like JS and Babs...huh.

I bet if I was on the daccka I woulda been right into this. I know it :)

Blog Archive