Monday, November 01, 2010
House loss could propel Pelosi into retirement
By Carolyn Lochhead
San Francisco Chronicle
WASHINGTON — The speaker's lobby and its hallways just off the House chamber are hung with portraits of all 51 former speakers: each male, each long gone, some famous, most forgotten: Henry Clay and Joseph Cannon, Tom Foley and Jim Wright, Newt Gingrich and Dennis Hastert.
Hanging over Tuesday's election is a big question: Will the first woman, San Francisco's Nancy Pelosi, join that gallery?
Pelosi's allies, perhaps offering a clue to her thinking, cite the example of legendary Texas Democrat Sam Rayburn, who twice lost the majority but came back as speaker a record three times from 1940 until his death in 1961.
If this is the path Pelosi, 70, wants to follow — seeking election as minority leader if Democrats lose the House — it would be a radical break with recent tradition, when Gingrich and Hastert resigned from Congress in the weeks after their party's loss of the House majority.
Many analysts believe Pelosi's political career could end Tuesday. Her national popularity is in the basement. She has become a symbol of Democratic excesses, much like Gingrich once was for Republicans, a radioactive "San Francisco liberal" from whom moderate Democrats in marginal districts are fleeing.
"Chances are that she would not stay in the House; she would resign," said James Thurber, director of the Center for Congressional and Presidential Studies at American University. A special election would be called in San Francisco, and Democrats would clear the way for a "new generation that's stepping up and has the energy and focus to be in the minority," he said.
That is how Pelosi fought her way into the leadership, becoming minority leader in 2002 and winning the speakership in 2006 after demolishing the GOP majority of 12 years.
Pelosi is sticking by her insistence that Democrats will keep their majority. She has made it clear that she intends to remain speaker. What Pelosi has not said is whether she would run for the leadership in the minority.
- ► 2014 (352)
- ► 2013 (684)
- ► 2012 (1340)
- ► 2011 (1028)
- Phone Sex Operators
- Google Blacklists Prisonplanet.com
- Reducing the Deficit - There ARE Other Options
- Such a Well Behaved Herd of Sheep
- 99% OF YOU SAY: GET US OUT OF EUROPE
- FEDs Using Mobile X-Ray Vans To Do Drive-By Scannings
- The 19 Senators Who Voted To Censor The Internet
- Judge Andrew Napolitano: "It's Time to Change Our ...
- Staged Events Coming Your Way
- Turkey Day
- TSA Choice - Molestation or Radiation
- Obama to sell $60 Billion worth of arms to home co...
- Westboro Baptist Church Van's Tires Slashed as Mem...
- Ron Paul: Crotch Groped by TSA, Calls for Boycott ...
- Aaron Lewis performs "Country Boy"
- HIGH TIMES Top 10 Strains of 2010
- Report: 92% of Afghans don’t know about 9/11; 40% ...
- Aussie Thunder fans honeymoon in OK at game
- Administration Is Setting Us Up For An "Event"
- N. Korea threatens additional attacks, accuses S. ...
- Iran urges trial of those behind 9/11
- Wednesday, November 24, 2010 is NATIONAL OPT-OUT DAY!
- 2010-“12”-11 December 11th, 2010 horrific terror e...
- SNL - TSA
- New TSA Opt Out Procedure
- JFK assassination deathbed confession
- Shorter Showers and 40 Million Dollar Weddings
- New Report: Marijuana Prohibition Doesn’t Work, Re...
- Investigate Felony Groping
- Ron Paul: Enough Is Enough!
- Woody Harrelson on the strange state of the world
- Cowboys & Aliens
- Do you have your glasses yet?
- "Daddy, does jet fuel burn hot enough to melt steel?"
- NBC = NoBody Cares
- Bulletproof Car - Ian Moore - Harlem
- System of a Down - Hypnotize
- Rand Paul: Thought Crime USA
- Chainsaw Kittens "High In High School"
- UFO in Thunderstorm,loco,Oklahoma ,usa
- TSA Now Putting Hands Down Fliers’ Pants
- Cholera Vaccine for Haiti - Useless and Dangerous
- Aborted Human Fetal Cells in Vaccines
- What the Internet is for
- We Are Change Oklahoma - Ron Paul for President 2012
- Big Sis Caught Lying
- Don't Fly the American Flag in America
- Help Put This Ad On Air - Go to BuildingWhat.org
- Lou Reed - Dirty Boulevard
- Monday's Southern California Missile Launch was fr...
- The Rebellion
- TSA Gives Rapists And Illegals The Green Light Whi...
- FEMA CONCENTRATION CAMPS: Locations and Executive ...
- (Are You a Threat?) America’s Devolution Into Dict...
- A Day in the Life of Two OKC Hookers
- Nancy Pelosi Celebrates
- Rise Like Lions - We are Many They are Few
- The Truth About Our Lives
- ALERT: Mystery Missile Launch Seen off Calif. Coas...
- Rand Paul: GOP must consider military spending cuts
- Cop Gets Two Years for a Murder Caught on Tape
- Castles Made of Sand- jimi hendrix
- Ron Paul vows renewed Fed audit campaign in new po...
- Barack's Angels
- Coconuts removed from trees in preparation for Bar...
- Oklahoma Storm Chasing Tours
- New House Judiciary Chairman to Obama: Prepare for...
- Did "Dirty" Harry Reid Steal Nevada?
- Timewave Zero Mid-November 2010 Event Test
- Few Democrats survive vote in favor of healthcare ...
- Barack Obama sex doll for sale in China
- 10 Creepy Mysteries You Haven’t Heard Of
- Commercial Banned by ABC, A&E and The History Channel
- Marijuana Measure Loses Favor in California, Lates...
- Did Obama Order British Authorities To Find Non-Ex...
- Toby Keith - Trailerhood
- House loss could propel Pelosi into retirement
- ▼ November (78)
- ► 2009 (430)
- ► 2008 (331)
- ► 2007 (274)