Sunday, August 12, 2007

Flight Attendant Hurts Oklahoma's Economy

Mom and chatty toddler kicked off flight

Most viewed on MSNBC.com
Updated: 5:07 p.m. CT July 13, 2007

ATLANTA - A woman said she and her toddler son were kicked off a plane after she refused a flight attendant's request to medicate her son to get him to quiet down and stop saying "Bye bye, plane."

Kate Penland, of suburban Atlanta, said she and her 19-month-old son, Garren, were flying from Atlanta to Oklahoma last month on a Continental Express flight that made a stop in Houston.

As the plane was taxiing in Houston en route to Oklahoma, "he started saying 'Bye, bye plane,' Penland told WSB-TV in Atlanta. The flight attendant objected, she said.


"At the end of her speech, she leaned over the gentleman beside me and said, 'It's not funny anymore. You need to shut your baby up,'" Penland told WSB-TV in Atlanta.

When Penland asked the woman if she was joking, she said the stewardess replied, "You know, it's called baby Benadryl."

"And I said, 'Well, I'm not going to drug my child so you have a pleasant flight,'" Penland told the TV station.


Penland said other passengers began speaking up on her behalf, and the flight attendant announced they were turning around and that Penland and Garren were going to be taken off the plane.

Penland and her son were let off the plane and did not complete the trip to Oklahoma, said Kristy Nicholas, spokeswoman for Express Jet Airlines, which flies as Continental Express on behalf of Continental Airlines.


"I was crying, I was upset and I was thinking, 'What am I going to do? I don't have anything with me, I don't have any more diapers for the baby, no juice, no milk," Penland told WSB.

Nicholas said, "We received Ms. Penland's letter expressing her concerns and intend to investigate its contents."

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Yeah, I read about this. Surely there's more to the story than this. Either the kid was pitching a fit, the mom was an unholy bitch or else the airline is fixing to pay out the yenyang in court.

texlahoma said...

If it was really the attendants fault, all the passengers should have started chanting "Bye bye plane, bye bye plane!".

the rube said...

man o man

you can help an old lady across the street everyday, but kick one kid off an airplane and that's what people remember you for.

yellowdoggranny said...

i would have made me physically throw me off the plane..throw me in jail...and then sue the fuck out of them...bybye money...
i have even lost the color from my eyes or you changed the color here..

apositivepessimist said...

Some flight attendants have become quite pissyfacedbitches over the years.

“At the end of her speech…” I’m guessing the kid was bye bye planing during her big moment in the spotlight.

texlahoma said...

Yeah, rube I know, you knock off one lousy liquor store...
YDG I would like to see that. It's not your eyes, I've been playing with the controls "Like a monkey in a cockpit."
Apos "And NOBODY ruins my time in the spotlight"
She might think the spotlight sucks after this.

Blog Archive